Hooray! It’s National Chili Day! The perfect excuse to chow down on a bowl of the fiery favourite.🍴
I did some research and was surprised to discover that although many people believe chili originated in Mexico (including myself), recent discoveries suggest that it was actually born in Texas and is a blend of Native American, Spanish and Mexican cuisines.
My Fast Fiesta Chili in a Skillet is a unique, quick and kid-friendly version of the traditional chili. It’s loaded with organic ground beef, black beans, peppers, onions, corn and pasta for that extra carbohydrate kick (plus, who doesn’t like pasta?).
While some like it hot, my family prefers it mild-ish. If you like it less spicy for your little ones, simply cut back on the chili. Want more heat? Add a dash extra!
This literally is the fastest chili I have ever made. In desperate need of a dinner one week night after work, I threw together some veggies I had in the fridge with organic ground beef, beans, pasta and salsa and voilà – Fast Fiesta Chili in a Skillet was born!
This is a no-fuss, one-pan recipe for busy families on the go that combines the convenience of pre-made salsa with the protein powers of black beans and beef. It also cheekily sneaks in some vegetables that the kids barely notice. I like to use the classic macaroni or the fun ditalini pasta varieties when making the dish for my daughters.
I prefer to use an organic, chunky salsa like President’s Choice Organics Mild Salsa. If you are feeling more adventurous, go for a medium or hot salsa for an added kick of heat!
I top my Fast Fiesta Chili in a Skillet with grated old cheddar cheese and chopped cilantro for a flavourful finish. The leftovers can be easily frozen and stored for future fast week night meals!
Celebrate National Chili Day and make a big batch of my Fast Fiesta Chili in a Skillet. Super quick, convenient and kid-tested too 🙂
Fast Fiesta Chili in a Skillet (Serves 6)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 lb organic lean ground beef
- 2 medium sized peppers, chopped (I prefer red and orange/yellow)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp. chili powder (add less if you want to go milder, add more to turn up the heat!)
- 2 cups elbow macaroni or ditalini pasta
- 21⁄2 cups water
- 3 heaping cups organic mild salsa (I prefer extra chunky)
- 1 cup shredded/grated old cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Gently sauté the onion and peppers in a frying pan with some olive oil until soft
- Brown the ground beef in a separate large, deep, non-stick skillet until no longer pink
- Add onions and peppers to beef skillet
- Stir in water, salsa and chili powder and bring to a boil
- Stir in pasta and cover, lowering heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10-12 minutes, covered, or until pasta is tender. Stir occasionally
- Add beans and corn, stir and cook for another 5 minutes
- Top with shredded cheese and chopped cilantro and serve! 🙂